Friday, October 10, 2008

And they call it a "game"

Perhaps you've seen Penny Arcade's comic on the subject. Apparently, Mega Man 9 has an old-school draw that I simply can't relate to. I can understand the nostalgic pull of Mario, of course, and ancient RPG's make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Heck, I even get the pull of Kirby and Sonic. But Mega Man was not a game I ever witnessed as I peeked around the doorjamb to watch my brother play (if he caught me watching him play video games, he'd beat me up, since he sought to extinguish any bit of my happiness that he could). It was not a game I played myself.

Christian recently downloaded it on the Wii, and is enjoying it immensely, or so he assures me. At first glance, it seems to me to be a cross between Metroid and Mario, but far more difficult and far less forgiving. I sit by him and watch as he dies over and over. Much sighing and cursing can be heard. Rows of spikes, which inflict death at a mere touch, loom everywhere. Gaping holes of death must be crossed via blocks that appear and reappear according to some infernal pattern. Checkpoints, and extra lives, are few and far between. When you die, you must start all the way back at the beginning.

In order to progress, you must memorize the layout of each level with agonizing precision, from the firing patterns of the enemies to the timing of the swinging platforms. If you manage to make it to a checkpoint, you likely have only one life left, meaning you will very soon be going back to the beginning again. Progression, as you may guess, is maddeningly slow, especially compared the quick pace of most current-gen fare.

Clearly, there's an appeal to this game that I'm missing. If I'm playing a game, it's for escapism and stress-relief. This game would have me pull out my hair in frustration. It's the kind of game I expect to be forced to play as punishment in a POW camp. "And you're sure you're having fun, Christian?" I ask repeatedly. "Definitely!" he replies immediately.

3 comments:

  1. Mega Man is not a game; it's an institution, no matter how cruel its creators were. I even have an old PC version on floppy disk that is different from all the Nintendo versions that I ever played and that is even more sadistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Laura. If I have to play a level over and over and over and over again, I get frustrated and quickly lose interest. Years back I played Super Mario World on the Super Nintendo and got stuck on this one level for AGES. I finally did get through it and I remember the rest of the game being a hell of a lot easier than that ONE level. And then I bought Super Mario World for my Gameboy and I'm having the SAME trouble with the SAME level again and, again... kinda gave up on it because it drives me insane.

    There's a level on Ratchet & Clank that is like that, too. I had trouble with that level, twice. And Michael had trouble with that level. It made me begin to wonder if there wasn't some video game creation conspiracy going on where the whole game is reasonably doable, except for ONE level. GAH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: it seems the time vs. progression curve for this game is parabolic. Once you've managed, excruciatingly, to complete one or two stages, you acquire new weapons which make subsequent levels much, much easier and faster. It almost verges on fun!

    ReplyDelete