Sunday, February 8, 2009

Scooba Woes

Way back in the beginning of this blog, I posted about my longing for the iRobot Scooba. I received one from Christian for Christmas, and it's been great. Our house felt cleaner than it ever did before. The single best thing about it was that it actually got Christian proactive about housecleaning. Mopping the floors became fun for him, because he was getting to play with a robot to do it. He inadvertently took charge of this realm of the housework. For this reason alone, I consider the machine nearly miraculous.

But, I must qualify my above statement. The iRobot Scooba has been great, but only while it lasted. You would think that a piece of electronic equipment which costs as much or more than an iPhone (the purchase of which Christian sweetly postponed in order to get this for me) would work reliably for more than two weeks. Alas, that is not the case. Within those first two weeks, strange beeping and flashing of indicator lights began. The Scooba would refuse to clean. Our internet research uncovered that it was getting stuck in 'diagnostic mode.' This problem came and went at first, but now no manner of prompting on our part will get it to clean again.

Fortunately, it's still under warranty, but we have to pay to ship the robot back to the company, then wait up to a month to receive a replacement. Just the matter of finding an appropriate box and packing the thing irks me. For such an expensive piece of equipment, I think this is colossaly lame.

2 comments:

  1. Our roomba also had tons of problems and poor customer service. But when it's good, it is GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever have to ship it back to the company for a replacement?

    ReplyDelete