Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Learnin', Disney-Style

Eowyn has recently reached a point where TV fascinates her. Before, she was mostly oblivious to it. I naively hoped this was a more permanent trait. Now, the TV exerts an irresistible compulsion on her. When it's on, her eyes glaze over and she stands transfixed next to her Cheerios depository (formerly known as the coffee table). Fortunately this only lasts for about 15-20 minutes at a time, though I know it will only increase as she gets older. I have discovered it's both a good and a bad thing. There are times when a 15-20 minute respite from her role as my shadow is quite useful, such as when I'm cooking dinner. Still, it's all too easy to turn on the TV when I'm too tired to engage her full attention.

Even so, there's been a few things I've learned from watching children's television with her, largely from the Disney Channel offering Little Einsteins. Here's a sampling:
  1. Animals of all kinds communicate through sounds like orchestral instruments
  2. Rockets may be powered by patting your lap vigorously
  3. One may open a secret door in Egypt's Sphinx by playing a selection of Mozart on a harp
  4. The moon likes to hang out at the peak of the Matterhorn in Switzerland
  5. The top of the Space Needle in Seattle is razor-sharp (dangerous for runaway balloons)

1 comment:

  1. What a detailed post! I appreciate the link to the Wikipedia entry on The Matterhorn. :-)

    ReplyDelete