Friday, August 22, 2008

One-Stop Folk Harp Shop

Though I rarely play anymore, folk harps, and folk harp music, remain one of my keen interests. I thought I'd share some of my personal highlights from this musical subculture.

If you'd like to see folk harps which are stunning works of art, check out Thormahlen Harps. Unlike pedal harps--the kind of harp you may be familiar seeing in large orchestras and which is usually built from maple--folk harps are crafted from all kinds of luscious-sounding woods. Cherry, walnut, mahogany, bubinga, koa--and maple, too. The wood and craftsmanship in Thormahlen harps is beautiful to behold. Koa is my personal favorite. It's also the most rare and expensive.

Likely one of the most popular folk harp makers is Dusty Strings. I never had a thing for them, but I mention them for completeness.

My own harp is a Blevins Encore in walnut. Blevins are plain but good quality. Their no-nonsense construction makes them half the price of other quality folk harps, though we're still talking a couple grand for one. Blevins makes a boggling 66 different models of harp.

If you'd like to check out some Celtic harp music but don't know where to start, I highly recommend Kim Robertson's work. Unlike some folk harp music, which can tend quickly towards the monotonous (due in part to the harmonic nature of the instrument), Kim's music always provides variety. On Searching for Lambs, she ranges from exotic contemporary compositions (like Maya's Return, a personal favorite) to sweet love songs, cheerful dances and sad laments.

No comments:

Post a Comment